Starting out this week with a to do list a mile long. Along with our family preparations for St. Patrick’s Day and Easter, we are looking forward to celebrating the upcoming second birthday of our grandson.
Today’s project is a birthday card for his special day. Whenever I create cards for friends and family, I always consider their likes, favorite color or hobbies. So what kind of card to create for an extra special little boy?
As I was mulling over ideas such as cars, trucks, birds or Mickey Mouse, my husband reminded me of his love for a very large stuffed owl. Whenever our grandson comes over, he heads right for one of his Aunt’s large stuffed owls. This is the one that he takes his naps with. So inspired my this adorable owl with the great big eyes, I gathered up my materials and began designing.
The card is created using the following materials:
- Base – black cardstock cut at 5.5 x 8.5 inches and folded at 4.25 inches.
- Mat – forest green cardstock cut at 3.75 x 5.25 inches.
- Mat – tan cardstock cut at 3.5 x 5.
- #2 – olive green cardstock cut at 3″ with my cricut machine
- Owl – black, white and gold cardstocks. Camouflage designer paper. The owl was created using the owl builder punch by Stampin’ Up.
To add some accent to the card, I embellished the tan cardstock mat with an embossed twig design and added a wrap of linen thread. The owl is attached to the greeting card using foam dimensionals.
For the inside of the greeting card, I used a liner of parchment cardstock. The “Happy Birthday” greeting is stamped in olive green ink. A parchment envelope compliments this masculine birthday card.
I have always believed that handcrafted items are a gift from the heart. I spent an enjoyable morning creating for a wonderful little boy that is very close to my heart!