Recently, I attended a Christmas Craft Bazaar and noticed a vendor that was selling some adorable lighted snowmen, that were made with glass blocks. I thought that this would be a fun idea to try making myself. After doing some research and getting a design in place, I went shopping for my materials.
The materials used:
- glass block 4″ x 4″ (for head)
- glass block 6″ x 6″ (for body)
- Christmas lights 100 count (on white wire)
- black buttons 7/8″ (for eyes)
- green buttons 3/4″ (for tummy)
- red round sequins 15 mm (for mouth)
- carrot nose 1.5″ (polymer clay)
- black felt 1 1/2′ (for hat)
- patterned fleece 1 yd x 3″ (for scarf)
- E6000 adhesive
- red satin ribbon 5/8″ wide (for hat band)
- holly embellishment (for hat)
All of my materials were purchased at my local craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The noses were special ordered from a great shop that I discovered on Etsy, called Uniquely Yours Crafts.
I began creating my snowman by placing half of the lights into the head and the other half into the body. I left the end with the plug hanging out so I would be able to plug him into an electrical outlet. Then I applied the adhesive to the glass blocks and let it stand overnight. Please note, that the glass blocks come with plastic plug inserts. I did not use these, because the blocks would not sit level with them in place.
To create the hat:
- Cut one circle 7″ for the brim of the hat.
- Cut a smaller circle 4″ in the center of the brim.
- Cut one 4 1/2″ circle for the top of the hat.
- Cut one rectangle, 3″ x 14″ for the cylinder.
Sewing the hat:
- Folding the rectangle in half, stitch the end using a 1/4″ seam, making the cylinder.
- Keeping the cylinder wrong side out, pin the 4 1/2″ circle around the top of the hat. Stitch it together.
- Turn the cylinder right side out.
- Pin the brim of the hat carefully around the cylinder and stitch it together.
To decorate the hat, using hot glue, I attached the red ribbon and the holly embellishment.
To make the scarf:
- Cut a piece of fleece 3″ x 36″.
- Cut fringe into both ends of the scarf.
Now, my snowman was ready to come to life. To attach his eyes, nose, mouth and hat, I used a small amount of the E6000 adhesive. Fold the scarf in half longways and tie it around the snowman.